Regardless of the kind of wood, all fences need protection from harsh weather conditions, moisture, and pests. After all, your fence serves as the front liner in defending your house against external elements. The question is, what kind of protective coating do you need to apply? Is it paint or stain? Below is a quick comparison to help you decide.
Consider paint as a more flexible option. It has a huge selection of colors, brands, and quality, while providing you an option to paint your fence in whichever way you please. However, many fence builders consider it as the less professional choice.
- There is a wider selection of colors, brands, hues, prices, and quality.
- You have the liberty to choose the thickness of the coating. Paint can be thicker than stain.
- Paint is generally easy to work with.
- You can use a paint sprayer instead of brush or roller for a faster process.
- Paint is prone to chip and noticeably fade or discolor.
- It requires higher maintenance and frequent repainting.
- You need additional materials for painting other than paint itself. You also need to dedicate more preparation time.
- It covers the original beauty of the wood.
- Some kinds of paint cannot intensively protect your fence.
For many fence experts, nothing beats the classic beauty and protection that staining has to offer.
- Staining requires less maintenance.
- It can greatly complement and enhance the color and texture of the wood.
- Many stains provide better protection than paint, especially against inclement weather.
- Fading and discoloring is less noticeable.
- It will not peel, bubble up, or chip.
- Stain offers a more classic, rustic look.
- It is generally lower in cost because of less maintenance and fewer materials required.
- Wood generally absorbs stain better than paint.
- You have less color options to choose from.
- Stain cannot be applied over paint.
- Stain is less versatile and modern, so it is not recommended for industrial or modern-day designs.
Learn more on how to properly protect and maintain your fence by visiting this blog from time to time. You can also have more comprehensive and professional advice from our experts by calling us now here at Bullfrog Fence and scheduling an appointment. Thank you and have a nice day!